Fernando H. Lopez, the mayor of Iloilo City in 1947, decided to organize a college to serve the youth of the community. In that same year, the Iloilo City Colleges (ICC) was then established.
ICC had two campuses: the Iloilo Unit which housed the College of Dentistry, Pharmacy, Commerce, Liberal Arts, Law, and the High School Department; and the La Paz Unit where the College of Normal Education, Engineering, and the Elementary Department were located.
Since its founding, changes have happened to improve ICC. The college administration removed some courses and offered new ones in order to meet the needs of the community and the challenges of a growing student population. In 1963, ICC opened Graduate School to assist teachers and administrators in their professional growth. Three years later, speech laboratories were made for both undergraduate and graduate language classes. In 1966, the College of Criminology was opened in Rizal Street in Iloilo City, the main campus of ICC. Simultaneously, the College of Agriculture was opened in Ungka, Pavia; however, the College of Agriculture was later dissolved due to the decline in enrollment. On the other hand, the College of Criminology, now called the College of Criminal Justice, which had laboratory facilities like infrared microscopes, lie-detectors, and paralyzer shields, gained popularity in Western Visayas.