1946 On July 2, thanks to the efforts of members of the governing body previously formed to lead the University, President of the Republic, Dr. José María Velasco Ibarra, issued Decree 1228, which authorized the operation of private universities. This decree was published in Official Gazette No. 629 of July 8. Immediately, Father Aurelio Espinosa Polit, SJ, rector by the governing body, took care of getting headquarters, funding, faculty and develop curricula. On September 26, Minister of Education, engineer Pedro Pinto Guzman, granted authorization to begin teaching.