Cebu Institute of Technology University
Created By /Updated By
Created on
25 Aug 16
Updated on
01 Aug 20
Share on Facebook

University Info

  • The year 1946 was ushered in by dazzling rays of hope for peace, progress, and freedom after the Philippines was devastated by the ravages of World War II. Through his vision and foresight, eminent physician Dr. Nicolas G. Escario, Sr. founded the present prestigious institution of learning in Cebu, the Cebu Institute of Technology. In collaboration with three illustrious Cebuano technocrats: Engr. Fidel C. Dagani, Engr. Amancio A. Alcordo, and Engr. Jose A. Cavan, Dr. Escario prepared the groundwork for the establishment of the institution. The proposal for the academic venture convinced the future CIT Board of Trustees of its feasibility and the wisdom of opening an engineering school. The project reached its final stage when Don Simplicio A. Lizares, Sr. was elected as CIT’s first Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Dr. Nicolas G. Escario, Sr., as President, and Don Rodolfo T. Lizares, Sr. as Vice President who all together pooled their resources to put up the required facilities and services of the institution.The Cebu Institute of Technology opened in 1946 with two pre-fabricated structures on F. Ramos Street. The school started with 512 pioneering students enrolled in high school and college levels. It offered: Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, and Chemical Engineering, Architecture, and vocational programs. In tune with the objective of the higher education to answer the needs of the time and to complement the technical programs offered, the first non-technical program offered was the Liberal Arts in 1947, Pharmacy and Junior Normal programs in 1948, and Education in 1949. The Vocational department was phased out in 1951 while the College of Commerce was opened in the same year. Two years later, in 1953, the Sanitary Engineering department started. To meet the demands of the growing society, other programs were offered such as Pre-Medicine in 1957 and Secretarial in 1958.On November 1, 1958, the CIT Founder and first President Dr. Nicolas G. Escario, Sr. died, leaving the legacy of a dignified politician, honest statesman, and a compassionate physician. At that time, he was able to put up eight semi-concrete school buildings located on C. Padilla Street.Don Rodolfo T. Lizares, Sr. took over as the second President of CIT. In 1960, under the helm of the new President, the Bachelor of Science in Mining Engineering was offered. In affiliation with Cebu Velez College, the pre-Nursing and Doctor of Medicine programs were also offered in the same year. Foreseeing the demands for Science and Technology, the Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering program was opened in 1968.Resourceful and bold in his program for progress, Don Rodolfo T. Lizares, Sr. then replaced the old structures with modern buildings and consequently acquired more facilities in line with the progressive trends in educational management. With his abiding faith in the education of the youth and great zeal of leadership, he acquired a new site for CIT on the N. Bacalso Avenue in 1965 and erected a modern four storey building which was initially occupied by the college graduating students of 1971. Gradually, the remaining colleges at C. Padilla were transferred to the new site. The new campus soon housed the administrative staff, college academic buildings, college library, engineering and science laboratories, and provided sprawling grounds for parking, athletics, and drill purposes. Towards the end of 1978, President Rodolfo T. Lizares, Sr., took the boldest venture by engaging in a multi-million-development plan with the Educational Project Implementing Task Force (EDPITAF) of the government. Through this program, CIT became the resource-based institution for engineering programs in the Visayas and Mindanao regions.CIT’s aim towards progress surged to new heights in the academe when it received an award as the MOST OUTSTANDING INSTITUTION FOR LEARNING IN CEBU CITY during the Cebu City Charter Day celebration in 1980.The demands from the electronics industry in the 80′s challenged the institution to offer the Bachelor of Science in Electronics and Communications Engineering program in 1983.Keeping abreast with the advancement of science and technology, special computer programs were offered in 1983 under the Computer Department. As it grew, the department was renamed the Department of Computer Studies with its innovative ladderized curricula. It was given government recognition by the Department of Education, Culture and Sports (DECS) to operate its degree programs: Information and Computer Science, Computer Management, Computer Technology, and Computer Engineering with their corresponding associate certificates.The passing away of President Rodolfo A. Lizares, Sr. on April 4, 1991 paved the way for CIT’s leadership to a younger and dynamic successor, Mr. Gregorio L. Escario, the third president of the institution. Under his leadership, Pre-school was opened together with the reopening of the Elementary Department in 1992. A modern three-storey building fully equipped with modern academic facilities now houses the department.Ever aspiring for its quest for academic excellence, the Cebu Institute of Technology was awarded as the MOST OUTSTANDING ACADEMIC INSTITUTION IN SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY for Region VII in 1994.Aside from continuing his leadership in education in the three academic levels, President Escario has given full support to other innovative special programs such as Industry-Academe Linkages and Special Computer Programs. Consequently, the Department of Computer Studies (DoCS) – currently the College of Computer Studies – was awarded with multi-million peso funding assistance from the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) for the creation of the Multimedia Development and Training Center (MDTC) and the Software Development and Training Center (SDTC).As CIT continues its march towards progress and academic excellence, the institution was deputized by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) to offer the Expanded Tertiary Education Equivalency and Accreditation Program (ETEEAP) in 1999.

View More
Hide

College Details

Extra Activities

Address Info

N. Bacalso Avenue Cebu 6000, Cebu City, Philippines
+63 (32) 261 7741
admission@cit.edu

Socials

Add Socials and Get 5 coin
Leave a comment
<