The University of California

Created By /Updated By
Created on
12 May 15
Updated on
01 Aug 20
Share on Facebook

PhD in Comparative Biochemistry

Fees Detail


The Interdisciplinary Graduate Group in Comparative Biochemistry offers unique opportunities for students to obtain the Ph.D. degree in a broad range of disciplines that use biochemical and molecular approaches to problems in the biological sciences. Opportunities for research exist with faculty from diverse departments and research units on the Berkeley campus including Molecular and Cell Biology, Nutritional Sciences, Plant and Microbial Biology, Chemistry, Public Health, Environmental Science and Policy Management, and the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. Additional academic requirements of the Graduate Division are found in the Berkeley General Catalogue.

Add Department Description and Get 5 coin

Admissions Admission is based on a variety of factors including academic achievement and relevant experience. Prospective students are strongly encouraged to make early contact with individual faculty members in the group regarding research opportunities. Applicants are expected to have a faculty sponsor before admission can be completed; only under exceptional circumstances are students admitted without faculty sponsorship. Our faculty page contains a listing of faculty members within the group with email addresses, links to detailed research interests information, and links to their lab websites (if available). Applications should be completed by January 5 for admission in the following Fall semester. All supporting documentation to your application should arrive by that date. At this time, we are only accepting applications for the Ph.D. We do not accept applications for the Master's Degree nor for Spring semester admission.

Financial Assistance:
All graduate students at UC Berkeley pay a Registration Fee, an Educational Fee, a University Health Insurance Fee, and a Berkeley Campus Fee. Non-residents of California are required to pay an additional Tuition Fee. Fees are subject to periodic revision by the Regents. Current UC fee schedules may be viewed at All fees are paid for supported students. Legal residence requires that the student be a citizen or a permanent resident of the USA and have lived in the State of California for at least one year prior to applying for legal residency. Students who wish to establish residency must contact the Residence Office in Sproul Hall immediately upon arrival in California to begin the process. Financial Support Students applying for admission may also apply for a University Fellowship by completing the Graduate Division combined Admission/Fellowship Application form by the deadline. Applications for University Fellowships are considered only once a year, and Fellowships are for the academic year beginning with the Fall Semester and extending throughout he Spring Semester. Continuing/Returning students may obtain the necessary fellowship application material from the Graduate Fellowship Office, 318 Sproul Hall. A limited number of Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) and Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) positions are available to graduate students working with faculty who are members of the Group in Comparative Biochemistry. Employed students devote up to twenty hours per week in the research or teaching laboratories. Students are not required to serve as Graduate Student Instructors. However, students gain valuable experience and should make every effort to obtain this experience with the help of their faculty advisor.

College Details

Add College Details and Get 5 coin

Courses offered by Us

Leave a comment