The Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) was established in 1936, as the Sir Dorabji Tata Graduate School of Social Work. Its establishment was the result of the decision of the Trustees of the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust to accept Dr. Clifford Manshardt's vision of a post-graduate school of social work of national stature that would engage in a continuous study of Indian social issues and problems, and impart education in social work to meet the emerging need for trained human resources.
In 1944, the Sir Dorabji Tata Graduate School of Social Work was renamed as the Tata Institute of Social Sciences. The year 1964 was an important landmark in the history of the Institute, when it was recognised as a Deemed University by the Government of India (GoI).Since then, the TISS has been expanding continuously in terms of educational programmes and infrastructure. While responding to the changing needs of the social and educational system in the country, the Institute has gone far beyond the initial concern of social work education.2